Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving from the USA

Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving is a time where families gather together and celebrate what they are thankful for! Usually, people eat turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing and pumpkin pie. I enjoy Thanksgiving, because I get to spend time with my family, and the people I don't usually get to see.

The pilgrims sailed from England in 1620 and landed at a place in the northern United States that they called Plimouth Plantation. They got there during the winter time and of the 102 that started the trip 52 of them died that first winter. During the spring and summer the indians that lived nearby helped them. The tribe of indians is the Wampanoag. An indian named Squanto even lived with the pilgrims for a while. In the fall of 1621 the pilgrims had a good harvest and they would have food for the winter. They planned a harvest festival and the indians decided to visit them. About 90 indians came. They ate and played games for 3 days. President Abraham Lincoln made Thanksgiving an official holiday in 1863 during the American Civil War.

Thanksgiving is when we remember the Pilgrims and the Indians and their big feast.We will have 2 days off from school. We also try to remember how lucky we are and what we have to be thankful for. I am thankful that I have a roof over my head and that I have a wonderful family that loves me!
The Friday after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day of the year in the U.S. People start their Christmas shopping. We also have a parade on Thanksgiving Day. You can watch football on TV.

Kelsey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home